Located approximately 18 miles from the village of Kinloch Rannoch, Rannoch Station is one of the most remote railway stations in the British Isles. Designed by James Miller, it is on the famous West Highland Line which links Glasgow on the Firth of Clyde, to Mallaig on the west coast, via Fort William, and runs across the remote wilderness of Rannoch Moor. The station building itself sits on a small island between the “up” line and the “down” line.
The station opened to the public on 7 August 1894 after taking five thousand men five years to build the 101 mile long railway line. As the line crossed miles of bog, the workmen had to float the track on top of layers of brushwood, earth and tree roots for support. As this added to the considerable expense of construction, James Renton, one of the Directors of the West Highland Line, contributed a large proportion of his personal fortune to ensure completion of the work. In his honour the workmen erected a carved head of this man and it still stands at the station today.
From Rannoch Station, there are regular rail links with Glasgow and Euston to the south, and to Fort William and Mallaig in the west, as well as a bus service to Kinloch Rannoch. The train times vary between winter and summer and the timetable can be checked by visiting: www.scotrail.co.uk. Rannoch Station is an excellent departure point for challenging walks in some of the most spectacular scenery in Scotland and, although it is now unmanned as a station, the building has been converted to a tea-room where hungry or thirsty walkers can enjoy refuelling. There is also a gift shop and visitor centre and, just a short walk from Rannoch Station is the Moor of Rannoch Hotel which offers accommodation and excellent food can be reached on 01882-633238.